Tuesday 5 August 2014

Seashells

When I saw this weeks sketch at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.So I set forth to accomplish it. Well, I want you to know that I learned this week, that there are some things better left to others with more computer expertise then me. I will share the sketch and my take on this design, and explain what went into making this card !

I saw this sketch and knew I wanted to use the new stamp set Treasured Memories and paper pack Seaside just released in the brand new Close To My Heart annual idea book. Easy right??  Not !  I got it in my head that I was going to learn how to take my stamps and turn them into an SVG file to cut with my Explore, then I would not have to fussy cut around each stamped image to get the look that I wanted. Ha! That was easier said then done. After spending an entire afternoon following a couple of tutorials, and trying to follow the instructions of a colleague, I came to the conculsion that the old adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" was indeed correct. Having endured several unsuccessful attemps, I relied on said friend to help me out, and make the files for me. I will forever be in her debt. If I ever have the good fortune to visit her, she will be teaching me how to do this !! In any case she quickly did I what I had tried so hard to do, sent me the files, and I was able to muddle my way through from there.
 I cut these beautiful shapes to match one of the shells from this new stamp set. I stamped directly on the shape with memento black ink(would have preferred brown, but had none). I then colored the image with ShinHan Touch Twin Markers , new in the CTMH idea book this year. They are fabulous!  I am not a lover of colouring with makers, however these markers are truly wonderful. They colour with such smoothness and little effort. 
Each shell was first coloured with Clay(BR116). then again , just in spots to give an uneven look, using the blending marker to soften it out. I used Mahogany(BR96) to color the inner part of the shell, and then darkened the  shadows with Bronze(BR99). This was my first  time, and they came out not so bad, I think. 
I really like the way this card came together, even though I had to call on my friend to get me where I wanted to go. 
I hope you get a chance to step outside your comfort zone and try something new(with more luck then I ), and that you remember to use up all your little bits and pieces !!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous job, and I heard all about your files from our mutual friend. Great story, it really adds to the creation. Love this card, and I think you did a fabulous job with the colouring and shading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the seashells! I tried doing exactly what you explained too, and gave up. lol. Beautiful card Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful card - those seashells really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the seashells ! I never know what to do with stamp sets like this and you just gave me a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous, beachy card and you have obviously put a lot of work into it.

    ReplyDelete